Re: java line termination

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: java line termination
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 23:22:45 -0500

    rms> But this would lose the information about which kind of line
    rms> termination was used in each line.  Saving the file would result in
    rms> one that had consistent line termination.

    Would merely visiting such a file cause the buffer to appear to be
    modified?  If not, then I think this approach would work fine.

The buffer will not be marked as modified right after you visit it;
but conversion will have lost information, so if you proceed to edit
the buffer and save it, the line breaks will be different.

Is that really ok?

Handa, how hard is this to do?  The idea is a new kind of EOL
conversion that treats CRLF, CR and LF as line terminators and
converts them all to newlines.  We would then want to use this
by default for all Java programs.