Re: options.el obsolete?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: options.el obsolete?
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:56:39 -0400

> Is lmenu.el really obsolete?  I don't think anything else in Emacs
> defines those functions.  Are the XEmacs facilities that it implements
> obsolete in XEmacs?  If not, then we should mark lmenu.el as not
> obsolete.

It's obsolete in the sense that if you want compatible menus between
Emacs and XEmacs you should use easymenu.  That's what everybody does.

Emacs itself of course doesn't use it, and a google search only
turns up "setup.el" (a 1994 package) and ibuf-compat.el which uses it
for Emacs-20 but not for Emacs-21.  Furthermore we definitely want
to deprecate this interface and have people move to easymenu
(or to native Emacs menus).

So please move it to `obsolete'.

        Stefan