Re: API changes

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: API changes
Date: 29 Apr 2002 02:25:37 -0400

On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 01:05, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     On the other hand, perhaps this docstring comes in the "under 10 lines"
>     definition; I hope one of the other Emacs people can say whether or not
>     we can use it.
>
> We can use a small number of lines from a person in Emacs.
> However, we cannot do this over and over, because that would
> add up to a significant amount of material.  We could only do
> it once.

In that case, I think we could establish the convention that our
discussions of API functions should include just the function prototype,
and a quick paraphrased version of the docstring.  Any objections?

We might also say that those with the appropriate copyright assignment
for Emacs could post a sample implementation; but this may end up
complicating the work for the Emacs maintainers, to make sure that all
code has been assigned.