Re: API changes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: API changes
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 19:45:17 -0400

> commandp takes a second optional argument, CALL-INTERACTIVELY, which
> indicates whether the given item can be executed by `call-interactively'
> (normally, the return value indicates whether the item can be executed
> by `command-execute'; this includes vectors and strings, which are not
> allowed by `call-interactively').

I always disliked this.  I feel like the elisp layer should only
have one of the two (i.e. I think that Fcall_interactively should
not be exported to elisp and should be replaced by
(defalias 'call-interactively 'command-execute)).

>  this is a clean way of determining,
> for example, how to execute a callback in a menu spec or the like --
> such callbacks are defined as "if an interactive thing, use
> call-interactively; else, use eval".

For what it's worth, `functionp' seems to work just fine for that purpose
(after all, if it's a non-interactive function, `eval' won't be much more
useful than `call-interactively').

        Stefan