Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-dat

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-date)
Date: 24 Apr 2002 18:08:17 +0900

    Terje> Tooltips might help, but I wonder if they might not be too
    Terje> expensive to implement and maintain (they tend to be in the
    Terje> context of the analogous Mac OS Baloon Help) compared to
    Terje> their value. Not that it wouldn't be very helpfull for
    Terje> figuring out what various gizmos do, mind you!

In many cases we already have docstrings.  Truncate to first line (<=
80 characters by convention), reformat in <= 25 char lines, display in
small font.

Also, it wouldn't just be for gizmos, you could also do this with
buffer text.  (Suggests itself as a secondary "browser" interface for
a dictionary application, eg, for a novice in a foreign language---
just point, no click required.)