Re: Enhancements to "minor-mode-map-alist" functionality.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Enhancements to "minor-mode-map-alist" functionality.
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 01:47:39 -0600 (MDT)

    >     To facilitate this, three more keymaps are used which selectively does
    >     command remapping of `kill-ring-save' to handle either region,
rectangle,
    >     or the global mark.
    >
    > It would be cleaner to define a single new command for that purpose.

    I don't agree.  There are many other commands which are specific for
    the region, rectangle, and global mark cases, and handling those in
    separate functions is a lot clearer (to me).

You said that the function of these maps is to remap
`kill-ring-save'.  I based my comment on what you said.
Rather than remap `kill-ring-save', which is the usual
key binding of M-w, I think it would be cleaner to bind M-w
to one new command.

What do these "many other commands" have to do with remapping
`kill-ring-save'?  I don't see the connection.  Do these three maps do
something else besides remap `kill-ring-save'?  If so, would you
please say precisely what other jobs they do?