Re: Enhancements to "minor-mode-map-alist" functionality.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Enhancements to "minor-mode-map-alist" functionality.
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:46:34 -0400

> 2) A keymap may be nested with
>
>         (keymap ... (keymap ...) ... (keymap ...) ...)
>
>    The idea is that when we scan through a keymap (searching for a binding),
>    if we encounter a nested keymap, we will [recursively] scan that
>    keymap before continuing through the original keymap.

I like this idea so much that I have implemented it already, but
for the purpose of multiple inheritance and to get rid of the infamous
fix_submap_inheritance ugliness.  It requires several non-trivial
changes, tho.  And I haven't finished taking care of all the "problems"
it introduces (not all of them need to be addressed right away: for
example, it doesn't work for menus yet).

> So doing this would remove the need for the emulation-mode-map-alists
> (which you dislike :-) as well
>
> I can easily ensure that cua-mode-map stays at the beginning of
> minor-mode-map-alist [will be simple in a post-command hook, or maybe
> by adding it to minor-mode-overriding-map-alist :-) ]

I don't understand.  In what way is it easier ?
It still seems like you need some kind of post-command-hook thingy.

        Stefan