Re: Latin-1 non breaking space not highlighted

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Latin-1 non breaking space not highlighted
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:16:46 -0600 (MDT)

    I cannot think of any particularly bad consequences of using the syntax
    tables, but I do see some issues that perhaps need to be considered:

      - the definition of whitespace will become mode-dependent;

Really?  Which modes change this?

I don't think it would be a problem if this were affected
by some modes, I just am surprised that there are any modes that
would do so.

      - Lisp programs that modify syntax tables could affect the
        trailing-whitespace feature; in particular, if some unexpected
        characters are defined to have whitespace syntax, users of trailing
        whitespace might become surprised by the results.

I think this would be a change for the better in such a case.

Could you make the change?