Re: Fringe in Show/Hide menu?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Fringe in Show/Hide menu?
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 11:27:02 -0700 (MST)

    There is one problem - I do not see an easy way of saving this to .emacs
    via customize. Do you have an idea?

You need to first define a customizable variable to control the
feature.  Look at the defcustom for menu-bar-mode to see how that can
be done.  Then the menu commands can work by calling a function that
sets that variable and calling customize-mark-as-set.

However, I think it is a very bad idea to nest the menus so deeply.
It is inconvenient to go down thru so many menus.

Instead of having a submenu of fringe hiding commands, it is better
to have one command that cycles thru all 4 possibilities.

I think menu-bar-showhide-scroll-bar-menu is also inconvenient and
should be replaced with a single command to cycle thru all 3
possibilities.