x-autoselect-window

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: x-autoselect-window
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 17:54:33 +0200

A few comments on the new x-autoselect-window feature:

  - Does anyone else see that sometimes, especially when the mouse is
    moved very quickly from one window to another, the cursor shape and
    mode line don't show the other window was selected until you
    actually type something, or move the cursor?  Tracing through the
    code, I see that Fselect_window is being called, but the display
    doesn't refresh until I press some key.

    I think that a call to Fselect_window is not enough to cause the
    relevant parts of redisplay to run, since nothing really changes
    on the screen.

    Gerd, what would be the way to force Emacs to display the
    selected window in this case?  I tried several possible ways, but
    nothing seemed to work.

  - I don't understand why does the test for calling Fselect_window
    insist on comparing the window, where the mouse pointer is, with
    the last window where we saw the mouse pointer.  Why isn't it
    enough to compare only with the selected window?

  - Finally, the name x-autoselect-window seems unnecessarily
    X-specific.  Since the goal is to support this not only on X, I
    wonder whether we should have a more neutral name, like
    mouse-autoselect-window or something.