Re: display-time, mail-icon and POP3 mailboxes

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: display-time, mail-icon and POP3 mailboxes
Date: 13 Feb 2002 01:27:31 +0100

address@hidden (Paul Jarc) writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) wrote:
> > I haven't debugged this specifically with emacs, but in other
> > programs, it has been necessary to make connect non-blocking with
> > fcntl(s,F_SETFL,O_NONBLOCK) and then use the writefds of select to
> > know when the connect has completed (at least on GNU/Linux).
>
> See also <URL:http://cr.yp.to/docs/connect.html>.

Nice summary, thanks!

In any case, I think it would make sense for open-network-stream
to have an optional 5th argument which serves two purposes:

If it is omitted or nil, the current blocking connect is used.

If it is non-nil, a non-blocking connect is attempted - if supported
by the o/s (and the emacs code) - and when the connection is
established, the argument (which must be a function) is called to
initiate using the connection.  The arguments to that function will
probably be the process and buffer (this is still TBD).

If the o/s (or emacs) does not support non-blocking connect, a
blocking connect will be performed - and the supplied function will
simply be called before open-network-stream returns  (it may need
an arg indicating whether a blocking or non-blocking connect was made
to arrange for different things to happen when open-network-stream
returns).