Re: CC Mode 5.28 (C++); comment-indent-newline does not insert a comm en

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: CC Mode 5.28 (C++); comment-indent-newline does not insert a comm ent delimiter after the new line.
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 22:39:31 -0700 (MST)

    I don't know exactly about the comment-ending behavior of M-j.
    Maybe Martin was thinking o cases where you want

            (* blabla
             * blibli *)

It might be reasonable for M-j to do that instead of completely ending
and restarting the comment.  Both of them are different from what C-j
would do.  Perhaps the choice between the two should be a user option.

    But my main beef with M-j is that it doesn't handle the fill-prefix.
    I often would like it for M-j to turn

            prefix> hello! there
    into
            prefix> hello
            prefix> there

    I.e. I think that M-j should force some kind of auto-fill-at-point
    (i.e. cut the line at point as if the line was being cut because of
auto-fill).

That is a useful thing for M-j to do in siuations that don't involve
comments.