Re: CC Mode 5.28 (C++); comment-indent-newline does not insert a comm en

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: CC Mode 5.28 (C++); comment-indent-newline does not insert a comm ent delimiter after the new line.
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 20:38:40 -0700 (MST)

    Let M-j break the line as appropriate for continuing the comment text
    on the next line, whether or not that means making a new comment for
    it, indenting and/or inserting a comment continuation prefix on the
    new line.

Precisely how do you think it shuld decide whether to end the comment
and start a new one?  What criterion do you propose.

Here is my reasoning: M-j is useful if and only if it differs from
C-j.  Therefore, we should make M-j differ from C-j more rather than
less.  Thus, M-j should always end one comment and start another.

If you think that M-j should sometimes continue the comment
even though it would be legitimate not to, could you tell me
what advantage that would offer?