Re: how could the mighty emacs lack --fullscreen ?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: how could the mighty emacs lack --fullscreen ?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 00:35:58 -0700 (MST)

    > This has some advantages.  One is that Emacs could deiconify the frame
    > at any time if it needs to (.emacs asks a question, say).  It will
    > also seem a natural form of continuity.  One drawback is that (with
    > many modern window managers) nothing will appear on the screen to indicate
    > the existence of the new frame until it is deiconified.

    But if you combine that with the suggestion of making the splash
    screen a separate special frame, the problem you envision goes away:
    the splash screen will show that Emacs is indeed starting up.

I don't see much use in combining them.  If an Emacs frame exists (the
splash frame), having the "real" frame present inconified won't
provide much benefit--and it could make the correct positioning and
sizing harder to implement.