Re: how could the mighty emacs lack --fullscreen ?

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: how could the mighty emacs lack --fullscreen ?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 19:55:59 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:

A splash screen would be fixed and not affected by parameters at all
as it is just a temporary visual indicator that start of Emacs is
ongoing.

The question was "what's the difference between the splash screen
and the initial-frame-before-reading-.emacs".  Admittedly, the splash
screen might look different etc... but there's still a jump between
the splash screen and the "final" frame.

OK, now I understand the question. My thought was that the splash screen is a separate window, that isn't editable, resizable or possible to customize in any greater extent (if at all). It just contains enough space to show the image and one or two lines of text. What I call the initial frame is mapped after the splash screen goes away, which is after .emacs has been read. I can only refer to Gimp for how it would look.

There will be a small change as the splash screen goes away and the initial frame is displayed, yes. But I imagine users are more familiar with that behaviour, as splash screens are much more common than windows that resizes and moves on startup.

I'd much rather that no frame (and no splash screen) are created before
reading .emacs, messages from the execution of .emacs are sent to
stderr or stdout as if in batch mode, and only when the .emacs
has been loaded create the initial frame.

An option or X resource to not show the splash screen is probably needed. I am not very fond of GUI applications that print things to stderr/stdout as they start. I usually do
% app &

and expect it to be silent. Also, if starting from some menu or button, those messages would be lost. On the other hand, *Messages* would be in the initial frame if there was some error, so maybe it does not matter.

        Jan D.