Re: customize-face: inverse-video does not work when customizing the men

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: customize-face: inverse-video does not work when customizing the menu face
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 19:46:43 -0700 (MST)

    > You could start Emacs without any specifications for these colors
    > and see what you get.  If the ultimate defaults are invariable,
    > this will show you what they are.

    Can I trust the results to be valid for all X installations?

That is the same question I raised.  I don't know the answer, so I
wonder if it is possible to ask X experts.

    I like better what Gerd seemed to be suggesting: add to xrdb.c code
    that defines X resources for the default colors.  We already do that
    for the background colors; all I need to add is similar code for the
    foreground colors.  Then we will always be able to get the default
    colors from x_get_resource.  Does that sound reasonable?

It is certainly possible to do this.  I see a possible reason it might
be the wrong thing to do.  A user might want menus to appear in the
system default colors and might find it strange that Emacs alone
uses different colors for its menus.

If the defaults set up by Emacs match the ones that appear to be the
ultimate defaults, then such a mismatch will never happen unless the
ultimate defaults can vary.  So establishing those colors as fallback
defaults in Emacs is probably a good approach.

Could someone ask X experts if there is a way for Emacs to find out
for certain which colors the menus will use?  Or if there is a
recommended way for an X app to handle this situation?