Re: customize-face: inverse-video does not work when customizing the men

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: customize-face: inverse-video does not work when customizing the menu face
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 10:02:54 +0200

> Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 16:44:17 -0700 (MST)
> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>
>     If you mean that the ultimate defaults are constant and thus known in
>     advance, then I guess that's true, but I don't know where to get the
>     values of those defaults.
>
> You could start Emacs without any specifications for these colors
> and see what you get.  If the ultimate defaults are invariable,
> this will show you what they are.

Can I trust the results to be valid for all X installations?  At
least on GNU/Linux, someone could modify the sources of the toolkits
to use different defaults, or use some configuration files which
don't work though the X resource database.  If something like that is
possible, Emacs will do the wrong thing.

I like better what Gerd seemed to be suggesting: add to xrdb.c code
that defines X resources for the default colors.  We already do that
for the background colors; all I need to add is similar code for the
foreground colors.  Then we will always be able to get the default
colors from x_get_resource.  Does that sound reasonable?