Re: Language environments

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Language environments
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:45:12 -0800 (PST)

The glitches noted below hint that maintaining a detailed language
catalog may be too much for Emacs's group of volunteers right now.  I
think you'd need at least one serious hacker who is using each
language; I can't see that happening for (say) Afar right now.  I'm
not sure that a call for new language environments would be a good use
of our time at this point.

> From: Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:40:22 +0100
>
> For the Translation Project in po-mode.el coming with gettext we use
> these language codes (updated by Bruno Haible lately); maybe, this info
> can go into Emacs core[1].

That info seems to be absent from gettext 0.10.40; perhaps it was too
much of a pain to maintain?

While we're on the subject, gettext-0.10.40/doc/ISO_639 seems to be
derived from an older version of
<http://www1.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/related/iso639.txt>; e.g. it's
lacking "sh" for Serbo-Croation and "Sangho" is misspelled.  Perhaps
gettext should be updated?  Sorry, I don't know where the canonical
copy of that file is, but apparently it's not at dkuug.dk any more.

(Other resources in this space include
<http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/iso639a.html> and
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm>.)