Re: Proposal: emulation-mode-map-alist

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Proposal: emulation-mode-map-alist
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:50:16 -0700 (MST)

    > * Those that are "emulations" and need to come first should add
    >   themselves at the beginning instead.
    >
    > * This should work just as well as emulation-mode-map-alist,
    >   as long as the convention is followed.

    The problem is to ensure the convension is followed - especially if
    packages modify minor-mode-map-alist directly.

We would have to change the packages which don't do this.  But we want
to change them anyway.  For most packages, the change would consist of
making them use add-minor-mode, which would add them at the end.

    I think that minor-mode-map-alist-list should be public!

That has the problem I explained before--it is so general that
you can't actually use it to solve the problem.
It would be far better to publicize emulation-mode-map-alist
and ask people to use that.

But even emulation-mode-map-alist may not be necessary
if simply adding at the front and the end is enough.

    If you like, I volounteer to make the necessary changes to add the
    minor-mode-map-alist-alist (or just -list if you insist :-).

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think they are the right thing to
do.