Re: Emacs build failure

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: Emacs build failure
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 21:09:33 -0500

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Okay.  Previously, the build process complained that it couldn't
> load some file, so I frobbed lisp/Makefile.in to include lisp/calc
> in EMACSLOADPATH.

Ahhhh!  Ok, I had totally missed that when looking at the logs.  I'd
been banging my head against the DOC rule, trying to figure out how
adding the calc directory could affect things.  But if the lisp
bootstrap stops when it encounters an error but doesn't return a
nonzero exit code, than this would explain things.

> With that, I get
>
> /----
> | Compiling /home-local/grossjoh/work/gnu/emacs/lisp/calc/calc-aent.el
> | /home-local/grossjoh/work/gnu/emacs/lisp/calc/calc-aent.el: In toplevel form
> | /home-local/grossjoh/work/gnu/emacs/lisp/calc/calc-aent.el: error: symbol's
> function definition is void ((calc-record-compilation-date-macro))
> \----

Right.  Mmm.  Calc has a pretty complex compilation process.  It will
take me a bit of time to get it so that we can actually just build
calc by compiling all the files in the directory.  I hadn't realized
how tricky this would be at first.

By the way, the file "lisp/calc/macedit.el" can probably be removed.