Re: keymap inheritance for non-sparse keymaps

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: keymap inheritance for non-sparse keymaps
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 11:51:07 -0700 (MST)

    That's OK.  We can simply add multiple inheritance.
    XEmacs has it.  And I have patches to add it to Emacs as well.

"Simply" is the wrong word for this.  It is a big increase in
complexity, and would require work on the manual as well as fixing
lots of future bugs.

A minor inconvenience is not worth that much work, so I must reject
it.  We should focus our efforts on the actual bugs that affect actual
use, and the new features that will enhance Emacs in significant ways.
My decision not to install multiple inheritance will enable me (and
you, if you wish) to focus in that way.