Re: address@hidden: C-k must be repeated in shell to kill a line that ha

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: C-k must be repeated in shell to kill a line that has a prompt]
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 00:06:54 -0700 (MST)

    > the fields used in comint have `inhibit-line-move-field-capture'
    > properties which prevent next-line and previous-line from treating
    > these fields specially.  Perhaps beginning-of-line and end-of-line
    > should also check this property.  Then the fields used in comint would
    > have no effect on ordinary cursor motion at all.
    >
    > Meanwhile, I think we should rename that property to something shorter
    > and more natural, like `field-natural-motion'.

    I presume you mean the _output_ fields (if none of the fields had any
    effect, there wouldn't be much point to them!)....

I see now that the input fields to not have this property.
But I think they should.  Users are already complaining that C-a
does not move to the real beginning of the line.  As for C-e,
it will move to the same place in either case, since the input
field ends at the end of a line.  I think the input fields
should have the `inhibit-line-move-field-capture' property.

The reason fields are used is so that comint can figure out
what is a prompt, not to affect cursor motion.