Re: default bg color on ttys

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: default bg color on ttys
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:55:55 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Miles Bader wrote:

> However, since I use dark-background xterms, I want to override this,
> and can't find any good way.  `emacs -nw -q -bg black' is the only thing
> I could think of, and it:
>
>   * Displays the mode-line as black-on-black (this is probably a bug?)

Yes, it looks like a bug.  "-bg black" should have left your
foreground color (is it white?) alone.

Please debug this if you can.  As I said, I don't have an easy way to
debug the tty variant.

>   * Forces the background color to *black*, as opposed to using the
>     terminals default background (bg == "unspecified-bg").  This
>     actually makes a difference if your terminal background is not
>     really black, but merely blackish (e.g., I use a very dark pixmap as
>     my terminal background).

You could use the exact color definition.  Emacs now supports the
X-style #RGB color specs on tty's as well.  You could also use
whatever that default color is mapped to in your
tty-defined-color-alist.

> I guess I don't really want to use the -bg switch on ttys, I just want
> to override the default setting of the background-mode frame parameter,
> preferably from the command line, or something...
>
> Any better suggestions?

How about frobbing the frame-background-mode user option?