Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Does Linux support external USB DVD writers?

From: ethan
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Does Linux support external USB DVD writers?
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:46:47 -0500 (EST)

I got one to work. A sony 4th gen DRU-530A DVD+RW/+R/-R. I am no linux USB
expert but my upgraded debian SiD distro with a 2.6.10 kernal made it
pretty easy. There is a daemon called usbmgr which takes care of detecting
the device and loading the appropriate kernel modules. I was then able to
use mkisofs (took some learning of options to build an iso that Windoze
would read) and use dvdrtools (took some figuring to find the right /dev)
to burn DVD-R's and read them back on Windoze as well as linux. For some
reason I haven't followed up on +R format wasn't recognized. I am also not
sure where Linux stands on USB 2.0 support.

Anyhow USB 1.0 was too slow for my tastes and I ended up installing XP on
a spare box and installing a USB 2.0 controler. Now I can burn all formats
at 8X which is very nice. I just wasn't up for the battle of getting a USB
2.0 controler working in linux. I may try eventually but I don't have a
lot of time to learn this. Maybe someone else here can chime in on this.

-e