Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Problem writing DVD-R (but only under Linux)

From: Volker Kuhlmann
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Problem writing DVD-R (but only under Linux)
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 00:37:40 +1200

> Just because there hasn't been a new release in a while doesn't mean it's not
> being maintained.

I didn't mean to tread on anyone's toes, but I have seen various bug
reports on this list related to dvdrecord, and never anyone to stand up
for the program. Enough to regard it as dead.

> 2. We're working on a complete rewrite to get rid of all the legacy stuff
> inherited from cdrtools. The rewrite is nowhere near release quality yet (so
> far, all it can do is blank CD-RWs and DVD-RWs).

Are you sure this is a good way to go? growisofs is way better already,
I see no need to have two programs doing the same thing. Waste of scarce
resources. Help Andy instead. Warly is also doing something - these are
all parallel efforts with no benefit below the bottom line. The only
benefit I can see is a dvd-burning program with cdrecord cmd line
compatibility, but by now all GUI burning frontends have probably zeroed
in on growisofs already. Or to put it bluntly, IMHO your efforts in the
burn software department don't even fill a hole. OTOH I would *really*
appreciate if you improved udffs instead...

> cdrecord-prodvd is a blatant violation of the GPL and should be avoided.

I'm sitting back to watch the entertainment.. :))

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is possibly list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/             Please do not CC list postings to me.