Re: [Dvdrtools-users] udf filesystem

From: Ted Huntington
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] udf filesystem
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:59:54 -0700

Thanks Volker

I may try ot make a udf, I have copied the steps you typed.  I hope sometime
that
udf is as simple as growisofs and can be made directly on the DVD+R.

Ted

Volker Kuhlmann wrote:

> > I am not sure the procedure for udf image:
> >
> > mkisofs -udf udf.img files....
> > growisofs -Z dev=0,0,0=udf.img
>
> I found two ways to make a udf filesystem.
>
> 1) Use mkisofs with -udf. For a to me unknown reason, this discards
> ownerships and permissions, and sets the numeric uid/gid to 2^32-1,
> thus polluting your directory listings with big useless numbers.
> Otherwise identical to mkisofs without -udf.
>
> 2) Use mkudffs. You do this anywhere you can create a filesystem in,
> disk partition or file. Steps:
>
> - create a big file:  dd bs=4k if=/dev/zero of=diskimg.udf count=<NUM>
>   make sure the block size is identical to the one used with mkudffs.
> - create the filesystem in the file: mkudffs diskimg.udf
>   use a suitable option for --media-type
> - mount the filesystem in the file with the loop device:
>   mount -oloop diskimg.udf mountpoint
> - copy all your files to mountpoint. This is where this method stands
>   out in convenience.
> - unmount, congratulations - your disk is already mastered. Burn as disk
>   image.
>
> Notes:
>
>   The tools for udf are bad or lacking. There is no udffsck, and no
>   resizeudffs. The latter is particularly bad.
>
>   You can do this with any filesystem, ext2 is an obvious choice.
>   However, ext2 doesn't optimise the data layout for minimal drive head
>   movement, and reading is therefore slower.
>
>   Regardless of method 1 or 2, due to Linux kernel bugs are strongly
>   recommend to append 2MB worth of zeros at the end of the disk image
>   file before burning it.   dd bs=2k count=1000 </dev/zero >>diskimgfile
>
>   My scripts md5 and writecd offer a lot of support for CD burning and
>   keeping of md5 checksums for backups. They're on my website in the
>   scriptutils package.
>
> I should write a howto...
>
> Volker
>
> --
> Volker Kuhlmann                 is possibly list0570 with the domain in header
> http://volker.dnsalias.net/             Please do not CC list postings to me.

Ted Huntington
Programmer Analyst I
Main Library
University of California, Irvine
PO Box 19557
Irvine, CA 92623-9557
emesgs:  address@hidden
web page:  http://business.lib.uci.edu/webpages/ted.htm
8:00a-12:00p Business Office (949) 824-8926
1:00p-5:00p  Multimedia Resource Center (949) 824-1674
"Stop violence, teach science."