Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Pioneer DVR-104 Problems

From: Mike McLean
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Pioneer DVR-104 Problems
Date: 10 Mar 2003 13:07:12 -0700

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 09:49, Felix Maibaum wrote:
> Am Montag, 10. März 2003 02:29 schrieb Mike McLean:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been having problems getting my Pioneer DVR-104 drive to work with
> > dvdrecord.  I have DMA disabled as suggested and I get the following:
> >
> > bird media # dvdrecord dev=0,1,0 -v -pad -eject -dao speed=2
>
> why do you use -pad? are you trying to burn cdda to a DVD?
>
> > dvdrecord: Input/output error. send opc: scsi sendcmd: no error
> > CDB:  54 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> > status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> > Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0E 00 00 00 00 73 03 00 00
> > Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
> > Sense Code: 0x73 Qual 0x03 (power calibration area error) Fru 0x0
> > Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> > cmd finished after 10.145s timeout 200s
> > dvdrecord: OPC failed.
> > dvdrecord: fifo had 64 puts and 0 gets.
> > dvdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.
>
> Sounds like a media problem. have you tried different media? Have you tried a
> newer firmware? maybe the media type is newer than the firmware table?
> also try specifying -force.
>
> other than that and really making sure that hdparm -r0 -d0 is set, I don't
> have much advice for you.
>
> bye
>
> Felix

I've taken the -pad off, I don't know why I had that option on there.
I've now tried both memorex (first) and fujifilm (second) dvd-r discs.
Today I purchased the fuji film discs and at first it kicked the disc
out saying it was an incompatible medium.  But since then I upgraded the
firmware from 1.32 to 1.40 and now it gets here and stops:

tbird libolt # dvdrecord dev=0,0,0 -eject -force -dao speed=2
macgyver.iso
dvdrtools v0.1.3
Portions (c) 2002-2003 Ark Linux <address@hidden>
Based on:
Cdrecord 1.11a15 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg
Schilling
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'PIONEER '
Identifikation : 'DVD-RW  DVR-104 '
Revision       : '1.40'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD.

Also no matter what type of DVD-R I put in now it makes a whining sound
after being in the tray for a few seconds.  On the other hand, as I
mentioned to Mike Morrey it takes my imation CD-RW discs and burns to
them fine.  I guess something with the drive is screwed up and tomorrow
I'll take it back and get a replacement.

Thanks for the help.

Mike