Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM LF-D310 -- I am actively sol

From: Simon
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM LF-D310 -- I am actively soliciting new info
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:06:05 +0100

On Wednesday 19 February 2003 03:17, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 20:54, Robert M. Stockmann wrote:
> > Hi, You state that dvdrtools only work with Pioneer drives.
>
> I don't claim to be an expert, nor have all the drives listed in my
> table.  I _did_ solicit corrections.
>
> > I would like to have that confirmed,

Here's the output on my PowerBook 1GHz with SuperDrive, YellowDog Linux 2.3
(kernel 2.4.19):

# dvdrecord dev=0,0,0 -dao -dummy /mnt/xchange/test/prova-dvd.dvd.img
dvdrtools v0.1.3
Portions (c) 2002-2003 Ark Linux <address@hidden>
Based on:
Cdrecord 1.11a15 (powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001
J�rg Schilling
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'MATSHITA'
Identifikation : 'DVD-R   UJ-815  '
Revision       : 'D0C4'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 1 in dummy mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting dummy write in 0 seconds. Operation
starts.
trackno=0
dvdrecord: WARNING: Drive returns wrong startsec (0) using -150
Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 52985856/52985856 (25872 sectors).

It seems to work with Matshita too, then - although it was only a simulated
burn. No way to test DVD-RW, though, since apparently the SuperDrive does not
support it.

dvdrtools have been compiled without transcode support (did not have time to
check that out yet), thus no Video DVD tests - for the time being.
Actually, it would probably be never, at least until I can manage to (buy and)
attach an external firewire drive and format it with a filesystem I can
access from both MacOSX and Linux. [Off-topic-mode-ON] Currently, the only
option I can think about is UFS (read-only, for Linux, but should be fine for
reading large DV streams and encoding VOBs on a free Linux partition). HFS is
not an option (2GB filesize limit) and HFS+ support under Linux seems to be
problematic. Any suggestion is appreciated [Off-topic-mode-OFF].

Also, I would love to try dvdrtools out under MacOSX, but the SuperDrive is an
IDE device, and I'm not aware of any ide-scsi emulation under that OS... :-(

--

Greetings,

        Simon.

Dr. Simone Grabstein