Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Pioneer DVR-105 or Sony DRU-500A?

From: Jay Berkenbilt
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Pioneer DVR-105 or Sony DRU-500A?
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 21:54:51 -0500

>   As I understand it, you need to use cdrecord-prodvd.
>   You can download a demo version (speed limited) from:
>   ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/
>
>   The full version costs $100.
>
>   I am hoping someone will prove me wrong about this!

Note that dvd+rw-tools: http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
supports the Sony DRU-500A for all of its supported media types:
DVD+R[W] as well as DVD-R[W].  I've been using dvd+rw-tools to write
DVD-R media on my Sony and no longer use cdrecord-prodvd.  Details can
be found on the dvd+rw-tools web site or in the archive for this
mailing list.  dvd+rw-tools doesn't write DVD-R in the same way as
dvdrtools or cdrecord-prodvd, but I've had no compatibility problems
at all with the resulting DVD-R discs including with a 2+-year-old
DVD-ROM drive and with my finicky laptop DVD-ROM drive which doesn't
read DVD+R or DVD+RW.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <address@hidden>
http://www.ql.org/q/