[Dvdrtools-users] can't burn at 1x!

From: Matthew Stephenson
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] can't burn at 1x!
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 02:07:52 +0000

I've mentioned this before on this list, but it's really starting to be
a pain:

For some reason best known to itself, my Pioneer A04 with dvdrtools
refuses to burn discs at 1x. It will quite happily burn them at 2x -
even 1x-rated discs! Naturally, this produces instant coasters that even
the A04 can't read. It seems to ignore the speed= option whatever media
I use, and I've even tried editing the source, adding "speed=1;" in
cdrecord.c just before burning starts (I know, I know, blindly editing
source code is bad). All to no avail. It still burns at 2x.

Surely there's a way round this? 2x-rated discs are much more expensive
than 1x ones, and I imagine even 2x discs are likely to be more readable
when burnt at 1x.

Am I the only one experiencing this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matthew.