Re: [Duplicity-talk] Switching to new keys after changing to sftp duplic

From: Vera Schmidt
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Switching to new keys after changing to sftp duplicity-backup
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:45:54 +0100

Hi,

thanks Ken, that sounds good ;-)

moin Ede,
now I started a test backup and can tell more:
versions: duply v2.3.1, duplicity version 0.8.21, python 3.10.12

As the test backup is smaller than a real backup and the outputs are shorter I found this:
"INFO:

duply exported new keys to your profile.
Your should backup your changed profile folder now and store it in a safe place."

Could this be the reason for the key messages (handshake, change to new keys)? For me it means that now there is a (new/exported) file duply gpgkey.XXXX.pub.asc and a (new/exported) file gpgkey.XXXX.sec.asc in the folder where duply works, where the configuration file conf has to be.
Is that correct?
These 2 files are generated when I forget to copy them to the folder before starting the backup (I clean the folder after the backups to avoid problems in case I catch malware in the system). These 2 files - are they copies of the originals? Or are they new ones so that I have to store them additionally to be able to restore the backups made with them?

Regards
Vera