Re: [Duplicity-talk] .onion, .i2p

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] .onion, .i2p
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 13:43:41 +0200

On 26.10.2023 10:59, du_ml--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:
Hello,

I cannot use duplicity with the remote server xxxx.onion.
I can connect with that server using e.g. ssh or rsync.

I used:

duplicity /home/directory scp://xxxx.onion:/remote/directory

output:

ackendException: ssh connection to yyy@xxxx.onion:ZZZ failed: [Errno 97]
Address family not supported by protocol

my ssh_config:

Host *.onion
          ProxyCommand nc -x 127.0.0.1:9050 -X 5 %h %p
          Compression yes

Host xxxx.onion
         Port ZZZ
         User yyy

The same is with .i2p domain.

hey anonymous,

duplicity implements 2 ssh-backends.
  https://duplicity.us/stable/duplicity.1.html#a-note-on-ssh-backends

default being paramiko which afaics supports the proxy command
  https://docs.paramiko.org/en/latest/api/config.html
. maybe you got an older paramiko version, that didn't?

anyway, two things
1. if at all possible use sftp:// because it is much more robust and reliable
   https://duplicity.us/stable/duplicity.1.html#why-use-sftp-instead-of-scp
2. try pexpect+sftp:// the cmd line binary based backend. if they work for you
directly they should work in tandem with duplicity as well.

should you find out why paramiko is not working we would appreciate a quick
description here for the ml archive and all future users.

hope that helped.. sunny regards ede/duply.net