[Duplicity-talk] Restarting failed backups with 1.2.x

From: Jakob Bohm
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Restarting failed backups with 1.2.x
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 14:55:56 +0200

Hi list,

[Note that I am still using duplicity 1.2.1-patched]

Having disabled the supposedly buggy --asynchronous-upload option, I reran full backup of my largest disk (3TiB used, 7TiB capacity), which reported in progress messages that it would run for about 2 weeks over a 100Mbps uplink to AWS S3).  However about a week into the backup, a router crash interrupted the connection for 15 to 30 minutes, this caused duplicity to abort with errors about the upload failing 5 times, but no final message like "duplicity exited due to errors".

So confirming that no duplicity process was running (by using the ps command), I restarted the backup in incremental mode, and contrary to past mailing list messages from back in the 0.x era, the backup did not resume where it left off but started over from scratch, with a new 2 week runtime to wait for.

Questions:

- Is resuming after a failed backup a duplicity feature or not?

- Are there specific prerequisites or instructions for resuming a failed backup?

- Do any of the command line arguments need to have special values to resume a failed backup?

- Where is the Changelog for 1.2.2 and later?

- Where is the Changelog for transitioning from 1.2.x to 2.1.x?

- How long should we wait for all the 1.x to 2.0 kinks to be worked out, industry experience says that too little time has passed since the 2.0 beta was released?

Enjoy

Jakob