[Duplicity-talk] Restoring a file deleted before the latest incremental

From: duplicity
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Restoring a file deleted before the latest incremental
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 17:00:18 -0500

Hi all, I am executing a somewhat complex test plan which I will share if you need it to give advice, but here is the short version first. I generally leave my partitions mounted and have a partition by partition backup that runs nightly.

What happens if the following timeline occurs?

1) Full backup, some number of incrementals, each with a given file changed.
2) LUKS partition is inadvertently dismounted or system boots w/o me manually mounting partitions.
3) Scheduled backup occurs on raw mount point.
4) LUKS partition is mounted on raw mount point.
5) Changed file is deleted.
6) Next scheduled backup is run.

At this point the changed file from #1 is no longer in the catalogue because of #3. I have tried restoring by timestamp previous to #2, but that older file isn't available. I see two options:

1) Run a backup when I mount the partition in #4, but since some of my partitions are large and my jobs run 4-7 hours I would like to find another way. Also, #5 could happen prior to that backup completing.

2) I found the following post, but don't understand "... If you had the
exact time of deletion and moved any incremental backups out of the way
that had occurred since then, it would be possible to do it manually."
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/duplicity-talk/2008-05/msg00018.html

I have the file timestamp of each of the edits in the incremental.

How do I move the incremental in #3 "out of the way" so I can restore from backups prior to backing up the raw mount point?

TIA

PS Complex or otherwise, it seems I have effectively shown my entire test plan.