[Duplicity-talk] par2 - what and when to use?

From: MRob
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] par2 - what and when to use?
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 21:45:58 +0000

Is par2 like a tar format with extra bits added to facilitate recovering corrupt files? Is protection against files corrupt inside the archive or corrupt archive file itself? Is there a easy to understands overview?

I see to use it like "par2+gs://bucket" but I want to do some local backups that will use --no-encryption option and transport over sftp. Is still a good idea to do like "par2+sftp://address@hidden/path";?

If par2 is very powerful ability to protect against corruption, why isn't it promoted more regular on duplicity website, manpage, mailing list? Shouldn't it be in more of the examples?