Re: [Duplicity-talk] Deletion

From: Wolfgang Rohdewald
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Deletion
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 07:00:26 +0100

Am Freitag, den 24.01.2020, 17:05 -0500 schrieb Scott Hannahs via
Duplicity-talk:
> > Thank you. I have a large amount of data and there's a good chance that a
> > significant portion will not change (or rarely change). So, if
> > I have 10TB of data and 6TB doesn't change between backups, is there a way
> > to intelligently update that to bring a bunch of incremental
> > changes elsewhere into a full backup
> >

> Not on the server side!  As Edgar pointed out the server is considered
> compromised and does not have any keys or access to data.  Thus it
> cannot coalesce  incremental with the initial full backup.  To do so, all the
> data would have to be downloaded to the local machine,
> coalesced and then uploaded back to the server.  This is more cpu and network
> bandwidth than just uploading a new Full backup.
>
> Other non-secure backups can do this.

restic can do this - and I see no reason why it should be less secure than
duplicity.

restic aggressively deduplicates data in a backup medium (named repository).
So if a repository is corrupt in just one block, ALL copies of ALL files
referencing that block are gone.

ALL backups of that file are gone. So with restic it is more important than ever
having several independent repositories.

--
Wolfgang