Re: [Duplicity-talk] Deletion

From: explorer
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Deletion
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 16:53:04 -0500

On 2020-01-24 05:02, address@hidden wrote:

hi Foust,

--cut--

duplicity treats backend as dumb file storage. it merely writes or reads data from there. and because there is not target based duplicity a "reconstruction" approach would need to re-transfer the whole data.
that is in turn equal to a simple new full which is the suggested methodology here. simply use '--full-if-older-than 6M' during backup and you will end up with a new independent chain every 6 months that can be safely discarded if not needed anymore.

personally i keep monthly chains* and verify after every backup, just to be sure.

*if one volume gets corrupted the whole chain might not be restorable by default means, so regular full backups are advised.

Thank you. I have a large amount of data and there's a good chance that a significant portion will not change (or rarely change). So, if I have 10TB of data and 6TB doesn't change between backups, is there a way to intelligently update that to bring a bunch of incremental changes elsewhere into a full backup?