Re: [Duplicity-talk] UnicodeDecodeError

From: Aaron Whitehouse
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] UnicodeDecodeError
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 20:58:44 +0100

Hello Alexander,

On Mar 24 2018, at 4:11 am, Alexander Levdonsky via Duplicity-talk <address@hidden> wrote:

Comand from shell:
/usr/local/bin/duplicity -v 4 --no-encryption --exclude "Исключить UTF8 to exclude" /tmp/test file:///tmp/test/Dup

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/duplicity", line 1611, in <module> if "Forced assertion for testing" in util.uexc(e):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/util.py", line 79, in uexc return ufn(unicode(e).encode('utf-8')) UnicodeDecodeError:
'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xd0 in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)

If you change your --exclude to be the full file path, or a glob that would match the full file path, your command should work, e.g. --exclude "/tmp/test/Исключить UTF8 to exclude".

I have done some work on Unicode and foreign script support in the 0.8-series (not yet released), so that gives a more helpful error message (though on reflection even that could be clearer).

The way you have written your exclude actually seems quite sensible, so I will give some more thought to whether we should support relative excludes as you have done.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Aaron