Re: [Duplicity-talk] 2 incomplete backup sets

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] 2 incomplete backup sets
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 11:50:50 +0100

On 12.02.2015 22:13, Jeffrey Yunes wrote:
> Inline.
>
> On 12 Feb 2015, at 2:05, address@hidden wrote:
>
>> On 11.02.2015 23:24, Jeffrey Yunes wrote:
>>> Hi duplicity experts,
>>>
>>> I have a couple questions and suggestions.
>>>
>>> Do you know why I would ever have "2 incomplete backup sets?" That is, why
>>> did duplicity start a new backup set before completing the first one? Is
>>> there a way I can continue an incomplete backup?
>>
>> no, duplicity decides if it can resume the incomplete backup.
>
> Do you know, or could you refer me to, documentation or code that explains
> the decision making process? My backups rarely complete in one sitting...

Ken (implemented that): can you explain?

>> use the cleanup action to remove the files of incomplete backup runs from
>> the backend.
>>
>>> Also, can I can restore a file from an incomplete backup set?
>>
>> there is a manual restore approach which can be used if all fails
>> https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/DejaDup/Help/Restore/WorstCase#Restoring_by_Hand
>
> I'm happy to hear there's a manual (and intuitive) restore process.

nope, nothing intuitive there. but a possible last measure.

> Is there a way to determine which volume a given file is in?

should be in the manifest file

> On a related note, is there a way to see the last modified date of a given
> file?

no

>Wouldn't it be great if you could restore files from a backup e.g., "that have
>changed since Wednesday?"

yes

> Don't most users prefer to recover the version of files in the newer, partial
> backup rather than the older, complete backup? What do you think about making
> restoring the latest version of a file, regardless of the status of a backup,
> a capability of duplicity?

duplicity --file-to-restore 'file.txt' file://backup/ /tmp/restore/

does exactly that by default. you can give it a time to restore (-t) though.

>>> Finally, when my disk ran out of space, I eventually got an error that
>>> sounded like there was a network problem. I think it would be nice to have
>>> a more descriptive error message.
>>
>> you didn't actually keep a copy of the error stack for me to look at?
>
> I'll reply to this thread the next time I fill up a disk (via sftp).

thanks.. ede/duply.net