Re: [Duplicity-talk] --file-to-restore without passphrase

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] --file-to-restore without passphrase
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 18:45:12 +0100

On 24.11.2014 18:31, Grant wrote:

>>> Is doing a periodic full verify a good substitute for a periodic full
>>> backup?
>>>

>> do the math. the more volumes, the more likely that one might get corrupted-
>> the only way to keep the volume count small is a short chain, hence a
>> preriodical full to start a new.
>>
>> verification should be part of backup routine anyway. after all you value
>> the data enough to make backups.
>

> So I'm sure I understand, I can be sure there is no corruption
> immediately after completing a full verify,

yes

>but starting fresh with a
> full backup yields fewer volumes which means there is less chance of
> corruption in the time between my verify operations?

yes. e.g. your average backup yields 100MB in changes per day. with a default
vol.size of 25MB that would amount to 100/25*365 ~ 1300 volumes.
now assume you would start a full every month. that will get you 1300/12 ~ 110
volumes per month.

so you could say that the probability of corruption in the full year chain is
12times higher than in each of the monthly chains alone.

also, in case some file get's corrupted you will still have a working chain
from before or after the broken chain.

you might wanna consider using par2+ backend to prevent corruption. see manpage.

..ede/duply.net