Re: [Duplicity-talk] Recover backup after using PhotoRec

From: Thiago Coutinho
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Recover backup after using PhotoRec
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 16:09:50 -0200

Hi ede.

I have this files, I trying to learn how I can setup gnupg to try to recover the backup:

address@hidden:~/PhotoRec.by_ext/gpg$ du -hs *
742M    f152191232.gpg
131M    f201344080.gpg
702M    f213958976.gpg
99M    f222325680.gpg
2,0G    f226545616.gpg
1,2G    f230699744.gpg
2,0G    f234934992.gpg
26M    f239089168.gpg
2,0G    f239140464.gpg
70M    f243320768.gpg
56M    f272680000.gpg
56M    f289434688.gpg
5,4M    f301362240.gpg
38M    f511707136.gpg
8,0K    f765916320.gpg
32K    f766393168.gpg
16K    f780998544.gpg
24K    f781001568.gpg
32K    f917996144.gpg
8,0K    f917996208.gpg
64K    f917996224.gpg
8,0K    f966395616.gpg
8,0K    f966395632.gpg

I think these files with 8K are from gnupg, but I don't know how to ensure that. From that I can try to decrypt these large files. How can I determine what is my keys? I tried to put these on ~/.gnupg/pubring.gpg and ~/.gnupg/secring.gpg and tried to run gpg2 --list-keys I get this error:

gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=00)
gpg: keyring_get_keyblock: read error: Invalid packet
gpg: keydb_get_keyblock failed: Invalid keyring

try to determine how valuable the data in the backup is for you. from there decide if it might be worth money to have experts restore your files. if not do you have the time to spare to learn how it is done.

a format not necessarily destroys an existing filesystem completely. it depends on the format routine which is different for each filesystem and formatter. usually a quick format just writes some structures here and there but leaves the rest of the sectors alone.

PhotoRec results often are fragments of the files because (taken from photorec website)
"
PhotoRec searches for known file headers. If there is no data fragmentation, which is often the case, it can recover the whole file.
"

so if your drive was full before it is very unlikely that the photorec results are proper. you can probably already see it if the volume sizes are not nearly even sized.

from here on you can try manual restoration
 http://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/DejaDup/Help/Restore/WorstCase#Restoring_by_Hand
with the very big disadvantage that you do not know the order of your volumes. so if a file spanned more than one volume you'll have to find out in which.

good luck .. ede

PS: the big advantage of duplicity is that it encrypts safely, so why not put a mirror of backup repository on an ftp, in the cloud etc. next time?