[Duplicity-talk] duplicity cleanup not really cleaning up

From: Luca Gibelli
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity cleanup not really cleaning up
Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 11:39:54 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

at Skylable we use duplicity to backup our machines.

We follow the principle of eating our own dog food, so we store the backups
on a cluster running LibreS3, the open-source S3 solution that we just
released[1].

Yesterday we got an error from duplicity:

http://pastebin.com/mCwM77ML

The backup completed successfully, but look at this:

- - -
Warning, found incomplete backup sets, probably left from aborted session
Deleting these files from backend:
[...]
duplicity-new-signatures.20140421T030631Z.to.20140422T030719Z.sigtar.gpg
[...]
Download
s3://xxx:8443/skylablebackups/ethos//duplicity-new-signatures.20140421T030631Z.to.20140422T030719Z.sigtar.gpg
 failed (attempt #1, reason: S3ResponseError: S3ResponseError: 404 Not Found
[...]
- - -

This server was rebooted ~30 days ago while duplicity was running,
so I'm not surprised that 'duplicity cleanup' is trying to delete the
incomplete backup.

What I don't understand is why, later on, duplicity expects the file to be
there.

I assume the cleanup process should have removed any traces of the
incomplete backups?

Versions:

$ duplicity -V
duplicity 0.6.18
$ python -c 'import boto; print boto.Version'
2.3.0

Thanks,

[1]: here you can read more about how we use duplicity with LibreS3 and SX:
http://blog.skylable.com/2014/05/using-existing-s3-tools-with-libres3-and-skylable-sx-duplicity/

--
Luca Gibelli <luca -at- skylable-dot-com> | Skylable, the cloud in your sky
IM: address@hidden | Tel: +39 01871851862 | Mobile: +39 3337491770