Re: [Duplicity-talk] Being asked signing passphrase even when SIGN_PASSP

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Being asked signing passphrase even when SIGN_PASSPHRASE or --use-agent is set
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 21:27:52 +0200

On 28.08.2012 21:20, address@hidden wrote:
> On 28.08.2012 20:01, Scott Hansen wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I'm getting asked for the signing key passphrase even when I've loaded the
>> signing gpg key into gpg-agent or if I set SIGN_PASSPHRASE in the script.
>> This is driving me nuts, because I can't get unattended backups to work!
>>
>> My backup script is here: http://dpaste.com/792677/
>> The excludes file is here: http://dpaste.com/792678/
>>
>> Here are the /root/.bashrc functions I use to start gpg-agent and then cache
>> the keys. http://dpaste.com/792679/ It's probably overkill but I've been
>> struggling with this trying to figure out why my gpg keys aren't being read.
>>
>> Why would it be asking the signing passphrase even though I've set
>> SIGN_PASSPHRASE in the script? Am I missing something obvious?
>>
>> Duplicity 0.6.19
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> your export statement seems wrong. try leaving away the dollar e.g.
>
> export PASSPHRASE
>
> see http://ss64.com/bash/export.html
> actually you could as well
>
> export PASSPHRASE="secret"
>
> to make it shorter.

additionally:
 i am not sure that gpg-agent and env vars (PASSPHRASE etc.) work together. i
assume that gpg-agent will always ask for the passphrases on the first use and
keep them in memory from thereon.

after all, the whole point of gpg-agent is not to keep the secrets around for
prying eyes.

..ede