Re: [Duplicity-talk] including paths on a different filesystem?

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] including paths on a different filesystem?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 12:48:08 +0100

On 20.02.2012 05:02, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account) wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> I have a few volumes mounted under /mnt, and I'm trying to include them in a
> backup that starts from /. I am getting an error back from duplicity saying
> that the file specification does not match any files in the base directory.
>
> My basic backup recipe is as follows:
>
> cat << EOF > ${INCFILE}
> /etc
> /root
> /home
> /usr/local/scripts
> +/mnt/somevol/somedir
> -/mnt/somevol/somedir/Logs
> -/mnt/somevol/somedir/temp
> /var/lib
> /var/www
> EOF
>
> duplicity --full-if-older-than ${FULL_BACKUP_INTERVAL} --archive-dir
> ${ARCHIVEDIR}/main --volsize 630 --encrypt-key ${BACKUPKEY} --encrypt-key
> ${PERSONALKEY} --include-globbing-filelist ${INCFILE} --exclude '**' /
> s3+http://${S3_BUCKET}/main
>
> The error is specifically about +/mnt/somevol/somedir:
>
> Fatal Error: The file specification
>     +/mnt/somevol/somedir
> cannot match any files in the base directory
>     /
> Useful file specifications begin with the base directory or some
> pattern (such as '**') which matches the base directory.
>
> I *think* this is happening because /mnt/somevol is not on the same
> filesystem as /, but I don't see a way to say this is ok.
>
> Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is there something in the documentation that
> I have missed in the several times I've gone over it?
>
> This is with duplicity 0.6.08b from the Ubuntu 10.04 repositories.

as a simplified approach and for testing try to define only an exclude globbing
list like this

- /mnt/somevol/somedir/Logs
- /mnt/somevol/somedir/temp
+ /mnt/somevol/somedir
- **

and add it as the only in/exclusion parameter to your duplicity call. this
lacks the other in/exclusions but is enough to find out if there is a
filesystem issue, which i doubt.
as an explanation:
you can do the reverse globbing in/exclude files, eg. exclude in include
globbing files. this spares you several files for the definition. the defs
above say,

exclude the Logs/temp folders but include the somedir folder and exclude
everything.

be aware that duplicity uses the first match read from the top. this is why
Logs/temp exclusion must be defined in front of the somedir inclusion, else
they would be included as the somedir definition would match first.

also see file selection chapter in duplicity manpage
http://duplicity.nongnu.org/duplicity.1.html#sect9

does that help?.. ede/duply.net