Re: [Duplicity-talk] What exactly duplicity check on Verify step? Why i

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] What exactly duplicity check on Verify step? Why i get 'Difference found: File xxxxx has mtime Wed Jan 19 09:49:14 2011, expected Wed Jan 19 00:21:25 2011'?
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 11:46:49 +0100

On 19.01.2011 10:02, Ali Nebi wrote:

> 1. What duplicity exactly checks in Verify step?

you might want to read here

> 2. Why we get 'Difference found: File etc/resolv.conf has mtime Wed Jan 19
> 09:49:14 2011, expected Wed Jan 19 00:21:25 2011' lines on this process?

confusing isn't it. For reasons not transparent to me, additionally to
verifying the backed up data, verify also compares the date with the source.
This should be removed from my point of view. It could be part of a new command
compare, which actually really compares backup with source.

> 3. Is this an error in backup process and does this break my backup and it is
> not ok?

that's design. If verify finds differences it always returns 1 and not 0
(success). If you can explain the difference (e.g. file likely modified during
backup) you can ignore it.

> 4. Verify return status 1, does this mean that my backup is broken and i
> should take care for those listed files or the backup is healthy and fully
> functional?

as in 3. .. ede/duply.net