Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Copied files, all modified now.

From: Jeff Cook
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Copied files, all modified now.
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 01:50:40 -0700

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Peter Schuller
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> However, now duplicity --dry-run still shows the whole repository
>> changed again. Why does this happen? Is duplicity comparing against
>> the old backups? Do I have to perform another full backup? All help is
>> highly appreciated here, thanks.
>
> Likely the copy didn't preserve meta data properly so stuff like
> modification time is different. If it's between Windows and Linux,
> probably ownership information too.
Thanks, but this is on the existing filesystem after the copy. I
already did an incremental backup based on the new data, but duplicity
still wants to send almost everything back up.

Ah, actually, I remember now I did do a recursive permissions change
across the repository. Is there a way to make rsync introspect to the
degree that it only alters the chmod instead of attempting to send the
whole thing back up? This is a large dataset and our host bills for
bandwidth.

> (When copying locally on a *nux machine, use of "rsync -a" or "cp -a"
> (GNU specific) is recommended above "cp -r" for this reason, among
> others.)
>
> --
> / Peter Schuller

Thanks for your help. :)