[Duplicity-talk] Cannot restore, runtime throws error

From: Yves Goergen
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Cannot restore, runtime throws error
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 22:41:50 +0200

Hello,

I have made a backup of my server system and now tried to restore it.
Just to see if it really works should I need it one day. So I erased my
hard disks, recreated all RAID, LVM and filesystems and went on to
restore the data into it. I tried with a command like this:

DUP_TMPDIR=/mnt/backup/tmp FTP_PASSWORD=... PASSPHRASE=... duplicity
restore ftp://address@hidden/backup-all /mnt

The short complaint that I got was this:

Restore destination directory /mnt already exists.
Will not overwrite.

So I added the --force parameter, thinking that this is one of the
situations when duplicity tells me to use it if I really wanted to
continue. The not so short complaint that I then got was this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 463, in <module>
    with_tempdir(main)
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 458, in with_tempdir
    fn()
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 428, in main
    restore(col_stats)
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 206, in restore
    restore_get_patched_rop_iter(col_stats)):
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 221, in restore_get_patched_rop_iter
    backup_chain = col_stats.get_backup_chain_at_time(time)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line
717, in get_backup_chain_at_time
    raise CollectionsError("No backup chains found")
duplicity.collections.CollectionsError: No backup chains found

So what do I do next? How can I restore a complete backup with
duplicity? It somehow doesn't work the straightforward way that is
advertised in the manpage...

The backup was created with Ubuntu 10.4's version of duplicity (rather
new), but the rescue image that my server provider has only runs
duplicity 0.4.11 (Debian 64-bit).

--
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <address@hidden>