[Duplicity-talk] Duplicity - calculate folder size on FTP

From: François FOURRIER
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity - calculate folder size on FTP
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 12:46:59 +0100

Hello,

i'm currently using duplicity as a backup solution.

it uses a ncftp client (version 3.2.3)  to read/write the backup files.

It works flawlessly, but I would like to calculate the size taken by duplicity files on different FTP hosts I use. Duplicity offers the "collection" option with displays the number of "volumes" it uses, but it only displays the number of volumes, not their size. And though I'm currently using a bash script to calculate it (number of volumes x default size), it is really not accurate. The default size for each volume is a maximum size and does not represente the true file size.
So there is perhaps no other mean than to use a script to automate FTP commands and retrieve this information.

ncftp via the "dir" command displays size informations, wich I could filter using awk, but ncftp client works only on an interactive shell and, for what I know, can't be scripted to do that. ncftpget and ncftpput does not support the "dir" option.. I m' stuck there..

So two questions for one need : Calculate FTP folder size.

- Can duplicity do that ? (version 0.6.06)

- If not, could you give me a hint on how to calculate the folder size using either ncftp client or via the basic ftp client on my debian Etch server via a bash script ?

Thanks for your help

PS : this question has been posted to experts-echange.com

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Protocols/Application_Protocols/FTP/Q_25130472.html

François FOURRIER
Webmaster - Veille tarifaire

http://www.veilletarifaire.com

__________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la base des signatures de virus 4853 (20100210) __________

Le message a été vérifié par ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com