Re: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Confusion about passphrase dialog

From: Gabriel Ambuehl
Subject: Re: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Confusion about passphrase dialog
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:44:43 +0200

On 15.9.09 Kenneth Loafman wrote:
> Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> > Dear List
> >
> > I recently noticed that duplicity 0.6.0.5 will do incremental backups just
fine
> > with whatever passphrase I give it when it asks. So if the passphrase is
not
> > needed, why ask for it in the first place - it is not particularly easy to
have
> > it run nonattended like this....
>
> That's odd... what command line are you using?
>
> It should not ask for a passphrase unless its needed.

Command line and output:

address@hidden:~$  /usr/local/bin/duplicity -v 5
--ssh-options="oIdentityFile=/home/buz/.ssh/id_duplicity" --encrypt-key YYYYYY
scp://host

Using archive dir: /home/buz/.cache/duplicity/6399e2a78d35fc7ddeb1278d24c706e4
Using backup name: 6399e2a78d35fc7ddeb1278d24c706e4
Import of duplicity.backends.imapbackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.sshbackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.botobackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.webdavbackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.ftpbackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.tahoebackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.giobackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.localbackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.cloudfilesbackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.rsyncbackend Succeeded
Import of duplicity.backends.hsibackend Succeeded
Main action: inc
duplicity 0.6.05 (August 28, 2009)
Args: /usr/local/bin/duplicity -v 5 --ssh-options=-
oIdentityFile=/home/buz/.ssh/id_duplicity --encrypt-key 122116E9  scp://host
Linux buz-laptop 2.6.28-15-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 18 18:40:08 UTC 2009
i686
/usr/bin/python 2.6.2 (release26-maint, Apr 19 2009, 01:56:41)

[GCC 4.3.3]

Using temporary directory /tmp/duplicity-eSDGaZ-tempdir

Temp has 7009976320 available, backup will use approx 34078720.

Running 'sftp -oIdentityFile=/home/buz/.ssh/id_duplicity -
oServerAliveInterval=15 -oServerAliveCountMax=1 host' (attempt #1)

PASSPHRASE variable not set, asking user.

GnuPG passphrase:

Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.

(note, I just hit enter to use an empty passphrase, duplicity then proceeds
like it should)