[Duplicity-talk] Permission peculiarity with sftp backend

From: Gabriel Ambuehl
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Permission peculiarity with sftp backend
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:40:06 +0200

For some reason I had revoked my backup ssh user write access to its backup
directory which fails in a peculiar way. Instead of complaining about
permissions, the sftp backend will first download the files it needs to work
with but then simply state ssh-password error and keep retrying for the set
number of tries to then finally fail with a traceback. It looks like duplicity
cannot really distinguish the outcomes from sftp.

I also wonder if it perhaps would make sense to use a purepython
implementation of ssh/sftp (like paramiko) to solve issues like these?